To build a pool of experts in the East African Community and Africa, and prepare for integrated, competitive energy markets, the Energy Regulators Association of East Africa (EREA) has continuously and sustainably built the internal capacity of the institutions in readiness for the modernisation and realisation of a robust African Energy Union. This will be achieved through:
• Collaboration with regional institutions, research centres, and development partners;
• Development of a Centre for Excellence ensures sustainable capacity building not only for the EAC but also for Africa at large;
• Supporting the development of an efficient power pool, dynamic regulation, competitive energy market thus increasing the social welfare for the consumers;
• Ensure studies/research collaboration is carried out to promote innovation in the energy sector and thus improve and enable the region to be on par with the trends in the rest of the world;
• Organising short courses and other training for the energy sector stakeholders;
A centre of excellence is, therefore, an ideal approach to ensuring a sustainable institutional capacity building framework.